Sunday, February 7, 2010

February 7, 2010 - Pay it forward

I’ve discussed this affair in the past and until recently experienced its beauty first hand!  The expression Pay it Forward is used to describe the concept of asking that a good turn be repaid by having done to others instead.  Much of my character and personality is fueled by serving others.  My brother and I have been exposed at a very young age to toil openly, and expect nothing in return.  Embracing this Pay it forward mentality has reaping benefits… by choosing to go out of your way to impact someone’s day in small dosages, you are choosing to be an inspiration and life motivator.

This weekend I took my son and daughter to the Optometrist for an eye exam.  Fulfilling my role as a father, I took great pride in this.  Once the exams were done, I was informed that my daughter would not require vision correction.  My son on the other hand needed a little help… $510 later; I was feeling a bit reluctant.  My heart sank… it was cute though because my son even gasped at the amount.  Paying the lady with the pink blouse in full, I calmly left the doctor’s office and moved along.  This drastic amount would put quite the crunch on my finances until the next pay period.  

When I got home I tried as best as I could not to let this situation bother me.  Thankfully I was surrounded by family and friends who noticed my un-easiness.  When they had begun to pry, I willingly shared my concerns.  Not knowing what lied ahead; this financial struggle blossomed into something special.  With no expectations and humble intentions, I began to receive money!  The feeling was overwhelming… I didn’t know what to say other than thank you.  As I’ve shared the pay it forward outlook in the past, to experience it firsthand was life changing.  One of my favorite quotes is from Lily Hardy Hammond ~ “You don’t pay love back; you pay it forward.”

I came across this helpful link: http://www.365act.com/ourbook.html

I welcome your thoughts and hope this has helped in some form or fashion in leading by example!

All the best,

VP

No comments:

Post a Comment