Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February 2, 2010 - Leadership

Owning a small business is work.  Before uniting efforts with my brother, I knew the road ahead would be challenging and time consuming.  Working my day job in Communications and juggling all of my other priorities would test my skills.  Recognizing these demands and dedication toward a successful business would take work, and clear goals.  History has established some memorable leaders:   Dwight D. Eisenhower (American General and President), Sir Winston Churchill (British Prime Minister), and Adolf Hitler (German Dictator).   I chose leaders from the Second World War, as you will come to realize, this specific time in history holds special interest of mine.
All of these men share similar principles in leadership and traits of success.  While some may disagree, you cannot deny their role as leaders and their impact on history.  As I’m rising to the occasion, reading books on leadership and successful executives… in terms of being a business owner and entrepreneur, having a proactive state of mind is in my best interests.  The ability to act and think as a leader would take practice and skill. Leading by example is essential, and unfortunately many who work in the business realm lack this ability.  The blind leading the blind is never a good thing.  Understanding that leadership needs to be worked at, hopefully through these examples may you gain a new perspective!
Planning for the future and adapting in times of crisis will only further ones efforts in business.  Modeling a proactive state of mind before problems become larger, and finding ways to solve issues under duress will be key moments as a leader.  Vision is crucial to outstanding leadership.  My brother and I have formed and poured our hearts into our vision statement.  Our dreams and passions are built with this principle.  I encourage you to establish the same!  Sharing your vision with others shall reaffirm your thoughts and feelings, and demonstrate your ability as a leader.  Taking charge is the next step… actually this is an issue I have recently addressed.  Your ability to follow through and make decisions, making sure the appropriate actions are carried out and handled correctly.
This is probably the toughest trait to mirror as a leader-Inspiration.  Leadership is defined through action.  In developing my own leadership skills, my intention is to stay committed to constantly improving and inspiring those I meet… I am voicing my effort to becoming a great leader, and one who leads by example.
“I will go down as the greatest German in history.” Adolf Hitler March 15, 1939
“I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat.” Winston Churchill May 13, 1940
“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.” Dwight D. Eisenhower Jan 20, 1953
All the best,
VP

No comments:

Post a Comment