Sunday, February 14, 2010

February 14, 2010 - A father's love

This particular person fulfills a unique and vital role… their love is fought for, their acceptance pleasing, but above all irreplaceable.  Other’s having tried to fulfill these shoes encompasses uncles, cousins, and boyfriends… all of whom fall short of this position.  Although just as important, even mother’s cannot compare to their forming effects.  The individual I speak of bares gifts of promise, but also death.  His title references a figure of refuge and strength.   Through the course of history no culture is exempt, they have embraced many names: Daddy, Papa, Father, Sir, Baba, and none other than Dad.  All of us share different descriptions of the man we know or knew, or never had the chance.
Looking at the father figure and his involvement in a family has lasting results.  I have shared testimonies from friends expressing their connections of closeness or lack thereof, and how it has impacted their lives growing up.  As I share in this role, the amount of responsibility is staggering.  To lead is by example right?  My goal as a father should emulate sound direction… a compassionate heart, and a forgiving spirit.  Easier said than done I say… in a perfect world this all makes sense.  Looking even deeper, the man we represent sets the tone for our children’s future.  If we aren’t looking out for them who will?  The gifts we unveil are life changing… I believe Dads hold the power of self-esteem and future bonds.
As I humbly approach this calling, I hope my kids see a man of love.  To desire the same in themselves with expectations held high.  Passing a legacy worth mention and acclaim! I understand this issue is hard to talk about, and if I have offended you, I deeply apologize.  The wounds of a father are hard to bear… if your story results in pain, I hope your life is enriched with quality friends and family.  This issue was lying heavy on my heart… I felt inclined to share, hopefully you have taken away something worth growing from and encouraged in some way.  If you are a father or someday wish to be one, I leave you with this:
“My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.” ~ Jim Valvano
All the best,
VP

No comments:

Post a Comment