Friday, February 26, 2010

February 26, 2010 - Rising stars

Last night I had the opportunity of volunteering at Rock Canyon High School - Highlands Ranch, CO.  The school has been engaged all week in raising funds for the Make A Wish Foundation.  Last night's event drew students and family for the first "teacher/student battle" basketball game. I must say, family and friends poured into the gym... overshadowing their goal by amazing contributions by the community.  Not only will they effectively support their Mark A Wish recipient, but their impact and support shall benefit an additional Make A Wish beneficiary!  I was truly humbled by this experience, and must pass along my thankfulness to Erin Toews for inviting me... one of Rock Canyon's finest French teacher's.

Looking at the past and ten years out of high school, heading back conjures memories of acceptance and personal development.  Quietly observing today's generation reaffirms the same feelings I had once experienced just a decade ago.  You can see it on their face, trying to find that special place in this world worthy of acceptance.  I must admit, though I have my moments of concern for today's generation, today's youth jolts my judgmental frame of mind for the good.  Getting back to the "teacher/student" basketball game, it was a close race shared with nail biting moments and last second shots...  In true Jaguar pride, the students overcame their schools mentors. Shortly after my anxiety lost its luster, Colorado's Unified Sports (special needs) basketball team took the stage.

Rock Canyon's Jaguars participate often with Colorado's Unified Sports.  Their participation and support was awe inspiring!  Varsity cheerleaders and student volunteers couldn't wait to cheer them on.  I don't think I've ever seen a human tunnel so long... stretching across the entire basketball court, Unified Sports members ran and smiled like they were on top of the world.  A style and expression that was consuming... I couldn't have been more proud.  As the game tipped off, players ran up and down the courts laughing and spreading team spirit.  Their was no pressure, an attitude of fun and care free ambiance.  Students and parents screaming and lending encouraging words from the stands... I had never met these kids, but watching them play a game of basketball was precious.   

I am truly thankful to have been a part of something so special, and on so many levels.  Volunteering my time, seeing the hopefulness in today's youth, the beauty in life, and seeing the good in this world.  When you share human vitality on so many platforms, your heart and mind overflow with love.  I encourage you to volunteer your time and being open to life's gifts that are freely given.

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile." - Albert Einstein

http://www.specialolympicsco.org/

http://www1.dcsdk12.org/secondary/rchs/index.php

All the best,

VP

No comments:

Post a Comment