Monday, March 15, 2010

March 15, 2010 - The Pacific

I despise feeling sick... today was one of those days - clinging to a bland diet with internal turmoil has the ability to humble anyone.  Time and patience are of the essence...though my debilitating nature was in full force, I wasn't about to let it get me down.  Maybe it's my drive that put me here, but I have to believe that hard work pays off.  My dedication to this blog is important, and my dealings from the day to day must be shared.  Today's intention has powerful meaning, with focus to the past and an awakening for our appreciation.  Almost 70 years ago the United States entered World War II - HBO is at it again, commemorating American men and women who answered the call of serving their country.  I hope through today's message, that you will see the fortitude and prevailing courage our veterans fought for in the pacific theater.
Creators for The Pacific plunge us into a dramatic 10 part mini-series following three U.S. Marines - Robert Leckie, John Basilone, and Eugene Sledge
across an expanding Japanese empire.  Answering the atrocities of Pearl Harbor (December 7, 1941) - the Japanese onslaught would not go unanswered.  In my bed ridden circumstance, I had the opportunity today to watch The Pacific's first episode... establishing it's leading characters for a dramatic blend of war and a soldiers journey for survival. 
With war in the east, Hitler was smothering his foes with a blanket of asphyxiation... Japan, aiming to do the same in Asia would welcome the United States into a world war fought in two different landscapes, with two determined enemies.  The Pacific undoubtedly presents burdensome terrain with an unfamiliar enemy.  I look forward to watching this emotional passage through the eyes of the 1st Marine Division.  If you have ever seen Band of Brothers - I highly recommend... Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, and Gary Goetzman are bound to deliver a superb depiction of war - and its raw effects on the battlefield.  This generation holds special meaning to me... as you can tell, so much of my life and focus have been poured into its devastation of human life and destruction.  I will never know what these men went through, and the hardships they faced... putting my sickness into perspective, it's no where near the pain and suffering they endured.  By remembering their courage and sacrifice, my thankfulness is overflowing!  I invite you to join me in HBOs The Pacific

I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world! ~ Douglas MacArthur

http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/index.html 

All the best,

VP 

No comments:

Post a Comment